Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sunday's Spiritual 10

I'd be sorely amiss not to do a theme 10, and what better one for a sunday?

1) Confession: More than anything else, I really enjoy translating Hebrew Bible texts. More than going to church, even. I know that's nuts.

2) I do miss being in a worship band. It was always spontaneous.

3) Although I prefer to keep quiet, I sure do like a good religion debate.

4) It is easier to get it wrong than it is to get it right. It is even easier to think we have it right than it is to realize we have it wrong.

5) Issue-oriented theology is tiresome because it isn't really focusing on the business of God so much as trying to massage the hot button issue of the day.

6) I suspect that God might really want every day to be like Sunday. Religion has been so compartmentalized that sometimes the routine seems like a rut. Shake it up, please.

7) At my core I'm an extreme liberation theologian with prelapsarian tendencies. What this means is that I see God as our liberator, as depicted in Exodus. It also means that I think the world would be a better place if we spent a bit more time communing with nature in the prelapse sense of being naked and vegetarian.

8) I don't think anything is too taboo for God.

9) I fear that an overly tedious doctrine structure only complicates the chief role of the church.

10) Size does matter in church. How can people in the cheap seats hear? I think smaller is better because everyone in the room can get the attention they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment